The All England Club announced that this year's Wimbledon tournament has been canceled due to the global coronavirus pandemic. It is the first time the tennis championship has been canceled since World War II.
"It has weighed heavily on our minds that the staging of The Championships has only been interrupted previously by World Wars but, following thorough and extensive consideration of all scenarios, we believe that it is a measure of this global crisis that it is ultimately the right decision to cancel this year's Championships, and instead concentrate on how we can use the breadth of Wimbledon's resources to help those in our local communities and beyond," All England Club Chairman Ian Hewitt said in a statement.
The 134th Wimbledon Championships will instead be held in 2021 from June 28 to July 11.
The All England Club said they are donating medical equipment and have opened up their facilities to local health officials if they need them.
"Our efforts will now be focused on contributing to the emergency response and supporting those affected by the coronavirus crisis. We have begun distributing medical equipment and offered the use of our facilities to the NHS and to the London Resilience Partnership, the collection of agencies in London fighting the battle against COVID-19".
To keep up to date on the latest news about the coronavirus and to understand what you need to stay safe and healthy, check out the Coronavirus: Fact vs. Fiction podcast from CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta.
Photo: Getty Images